In a society which thrives on electricity-dependent technological advancements, it should come as no surprise that power outages have become the bane of our existence. Nearly every aspect of modern life relies on a source of electricity. How many times per day do you simply turn on a light or use a computer? Or perhaps plug your phone into charge? One aspect of daily life which is not difficult to neglect in the event of a power outage, however, is your garage door opener. Suppose a lightning storm tears through your small suburban area and destroys a transformer down the block. Depending on whether you left the door open or closed prior to the resulting power outage, your car and possessions are now either trapped in the garage or exposed to the elements and anyone passing by. We sympathize with this and understand that it is simply unacceptable. Here’s how to fix just such a problem:
How to Reconnect Your Garage Door Opener
1. First you must disconnect the garage door opener from the door itself. It’s best to unplug the opener from its power source beforehand.
2. Pull the emergency disconnect cord hanging from the opener. This is the only way to disconnect the opener and allows you to fully open the door. This is especially important if you’re trapped in the garage.
3. Manually close the door all the way. The opener will not reconnect properly if the door isn’t completely shut.
4. After the power has been restored, press the button you typically use to close the door. Give the opener ample time to connect on its own. The chain of the opener will move the corresponding trolley to its correct position until it connects with the arm of the garage door.
5. If the trolley of your garage door opener is not automatic, you will have to manually attach the trolley to the garage door’s arms after pulling the emergency release.
6. Your opener and door should be connected and functioning as good as ever!
To prevent further issues, consider investing in a surge protector for the outlet your garage door opener is plugged into. If you continue to have issues with re-connecting your garage door and opener, do not hesitate to contact us!